This plant-based version of pulled chicken is a bit spicy; use a little less seasoning, if you prefer it mild.
Serve with 1 cup coleslaw (try it in the sandwich!) and 1 cup lean protein of choice, such as baked beans or egg salad.
3 cans (14 oz/398 ml each) jackfruit in brine
1 tbsp oil
1 cup ketchup
1⁄2 cup vinegar
1⁄2 cup each brown sugar and water
8 burger buns, split and toasted
- In Collapsible Strainer, drain and rinse jackfruit.
- In Sauté Pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add jackfruit. Using Sauté Spoon, stir occasionally until slightly softened, about 4 min.
- Add seasoning, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and water to pan. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer on low 7 min, stirring occasionally. Jackfruit should be soft enough to break apart.
- Remove from heat; using Sauté Spoon, mash jackfruit. It will shred and resemble pulled chicken.
- Divide mashed jackfruit between buns.
Find canned jackfruit in the canned fruit aisle of the grocery store. Make sure to purchase in brine (not syrup!).
Jackfruit is a popular, plant-based alternative to making pulled chicken or pork! Make sure to serve this alongside a protein of choice; while delicious, jackfruit is not a significant source of protein.