Here’s an elevated twist on a traditional Philly cheesesteak for the holidays. To streamline prep, buy grated cheese and pre-sliced mushrooms and beef strips, and slice onion and pepper the night before entertaining guests for quick assembly. Leave skins on the potatoes to save time.
This is a perfectly balanced plate.
2 bell peppers
1 small yellow onion
1 lb (450 g) thinly sliced beef strips
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp oil
1 cup grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
4 medium potatoes
3⁄4 cup milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- For the cheesesteak, preheat oven to 375° F. Line Sheet Pan with Sheet Pan Liner.
- Thinly slice peppers and onion; place in a large bowl. Add beef, mushrooms, oil, and seasoning. Toss until well coated.
- Arrange in a single layer on pan as best you can. Roast for 15 min. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Place back in oven and roast 2 min, or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, chop potatoes into small cubes. Place in Multipurpose or Round Steamer. Cover and microwave on high until fork tender, 10—12 min. Stir every 5 min.
- Using Ground Meat Separator, mash potatoes to desired consistency. Stir in milk, butter, and sea salt blend.
- To serve, top mashed potatoes with cheesesteak mixture.
To save time, purchase pre-sliced beef. Be sure to look for "stir-fry" beef as opposed to "stewing" beef; stewing beef will be very tough to use to prepare this recipe. If pre-sliced beef is unavailable, freeze your favourite cut of steak until firm, about 30—45 min. This will make it easier to thinly slice the meat.